Navigating homeowners insurance coverage can be tricky. The good news is that the insurance professionals at Dern & Company can help homeowners in and around Milwaukee, WI find the insurance solutions to meet their needs.
One of the essential aspects of understanding an insurance policy is knowing what will NOT be covered. While homeowners insurance policy requirements vary by jurisdiction (or endorsements or add-ons), most policies designed to protect homeowners typically exclude:
- Flood Damage — the damage that a flood may cause is typically covered by specific insurance issued by FEMA – through the NFIP, the National Flood Insurance Program – which is available through Dern & Company.
- Sewer/Drainage Back-ups — certain insurance policies offer coverage if the drain was located on the property; however, it would likely not cover an issue that occurred down the road and off the property.
- Repeated/Consistent Water Leakage — any slow and consistent leaks are usually only covered by an add-on endorsement, not a standard homeowners policy.
- Mold/Microbes — mold is typically a covered event if it occurs and is sourced (to an unexpected/accidental water discharge) to the property covered by the policy. Many policies have time restrictions that require policyholders to report the event in a certain timeframe.
- A Frozen Plumbing or Heating System — while most quality policies will cover an event like this, a policyholder must proactively take steps to avoid the event. For example, if you leave the property for a two-week vacation and turn the heat off, the loss would likely not be covered if the pipes freeze.
Do you have questions regarding a homeowners insurance policy for a home or condo in the greater Milwaukee, WI area? Contact the licensed professionals at Dern & Company at 414-935-5700.